Winter weather can be the skin’s worst enemy. Not only can it cause itching and scratching, winter can make it dry, flaky, cracked, and sore. Not fun for anybody! Luckily, there are things you can do to make sure that your skin doesn’t get that far, by simply following a few do’s and don’ts. A little bit of effort is all you need to put in to have lovely looking skin all year round!
Taking Care of Your Skin in Winter: Do’s
- Use a body brush to keep lymphatic drainage working, your blood flow pumping, and your skin soft and supple.
- Exfoliate with a body scrub 2-3 times per week to rid your body of dead skin cells and instantly make it appear brighter.
- Make sure you use a moisturising soap or body wash, and not one that dries out your skin. Dove is a great brand!
- Pat yourself dry, never rub.
- Apply a creamy body butter or moisturiser immediately after drying, or your skin could feel tight and sore.
- Exfoliate your face twice a week with a facial exfoliator.
- Consider switching your moisturiser for one especially made for dry skin.
- If you have lines and wrinkles around the eyes, use an eye cream.
- Use a hydrating face mask once a week to give your collagen and cells and extra boost for plumpness and brightness.
- Always wear gloves to protect your hands, and apply a hand cream regularly.
- Use a cuticle oil to moisturise and protect your nails and skin around your nails.
- Always include your feet in your exfoliating and moisturising routine.
- Exfoliate dry skin from your lips with a lip scrub or an old toothbrush.
- Apply a thick lip balm every night before bed, and use one in the day when you can.
Taking Care of Your Skin in Winter: Don’ts
- Spend longer than 10 minutes in a shower.
- Try to keep your water warm, not too hot, as this can strip your skin of it’s natural oils.
- Use a male’s shaving cream. Buy a shaving cream especially for women to have silky smooth legs.
- Wait to moisturise after a bath or shower. This can really wreak havoc on your skin.
- Use a face wash with harsh ingredients. Use a gentle cleanser in the winter months, like one from DermalSense.
- Use the wrong products on your skin. Always use products suited to your skin type, and remember that your skin type can change with the seasons. Using a dry cleanser on oily skin can cause big problems, so make sure you pay attention to the changes.
- Apply lipstick to chapped lips, as this can make them even worse and cause them to look old. Always exfoliate lips before applying anything.
- Forget to buy products containing SPF. Just because it’s not summer, doesn’t mean our skin won’t get damaged from the harmful rays and free radicals in the environment.
- Think that you’re too young for a good skin routine. You can never be too young; starting early is best to prevent wrinkles, imperfections, and other problems down the line!
Now you’re fully equipped with the knowledge to take care of your dry winter skin – go ahead and show it who’s boss!